The Introduction to Media and Communication Course is a specialization course designed to qualify students with the knowledge needed for the performance of military communications and public affairs duties, through the theoretical framing of the interactions between the organizations and the media in contemporary societies and also through the identification of issues related with Communication and Media Relations, in the context of the Armed Forces and the Guarda Nacional Republicana (National Republican Guard).
- To know and understand the present relationship between the media and the military;
- Training students for the role of Public Affairs Officer in national and international Military Staffs;
- Development of study, research, analysis and summarizing abilities in regard to issues related to Military Public Affairs and its techniques;
- To sensitize and qualify the students in the knowledge of journalism ethics and standards in Portugal and the specifics about each media (press, radio, television and Internet).
The Media and Communication Course comprises one course unit – Communication and Military Public Affairs – integrated in the scientific area of Administration.
The course is organized in accordance with the European Credits Trading System. The total number of credits required to complete the course is 2 ECTS.
The Media and Communication Course duration is 5 working days.
QUALIFICATIONS CONFERRED BY THE COURSE
A Specialization in Media and Communication Diploma is awarded to students who successfully complete all syllabus units, having achieved 2 ECTS credits.
The course may be attended by:
• Senior officers (OF3 and above) from any branch of the Armed forces and the Guarda Nacional Republicana (National Republican Guard) and Captains/ First lieutenants (OF2) qualified with the Field Grade Officers Course;
• Captains/ First lieutenants that are not qualified with the Field Grade Officers Course, exceptionally;
• Officers from friendly countries.
• Officers must speak and understand portuguese.
POINT OF CONTACT
Course Director: Lieutenant Colonel (OF-4) Carriço Pinheiro