On March 27, the Portuguese Military University Institute organized the “Crisis and Armed Conflicts International Seminar 2019” entitled “Energy Security”.
The Seminar was organize in collaboration with the University of Lisbon, the University of Coimbra, the University Institute of Lisbon, and the Autonoma University of Lisbon.
Those institutions were represent at the opening session by:
• Lieutenant-General Manuel Fernando Rafael Martins, Commander of the Portuguese Military University Institute (IUM);
• Professor Manuel Meirinho, President of the School of Social and Political Sciences of the University of Lisbon (ISCSP);
• Professor Daniela Nascimento, Representative of the Director of the Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra (FEUC);
• Professor Bruno Cardoso Reis, Subdirector of the Center for International Studies of the University Institute of Lisbon (CEI-IUL);
• Professor Luís Moita, Director of the Observatory of Foreign Relations of the Autonoma University of Lisbon (OBSERVARE-UAL).
The first panel entitle “Energy and International security” was moderate by Lieutenant-Colonel Pinto Correia, and had the presence of the speakers:
• Mr. Alan Howard, Deputy Director of the Energy Academic Group of the Naval Postgraduate School, United States of America;
• Mr. Michael Ruhle, Head of the Energy Security Section of the Emerging Security Challenges Division, NATO Headquarters;
• Miss Jennifer Doran, Behavioural Scientist, Project Lead NATO Energy Security Center of Excellence.
The second panel entitle “Operationalizing energy security” was moderate by Professor Daniela Nascimento, and had the presence of the speakers:
• Professor Andrea Valente, School of Social and Political Sciences of the University of Lisbon;
• Professor Ana Isabel Xavier, OBSERVARE-Observatory of Foreign Relations of the Autonoma University of Lisbon;
• Lieutenant-Colonel Pedro Matias, Director of the Center of competences for infrastructure protection of the Army Military Academy, Portuguese Armed Forces.